In a salute to the ultimate comfort food, the National Pasta Association, (yes, this is an actual registered nonprofit organization), has named the month of March, "National Noodle Month". Did you know...
- Noodles were first made by 13th Century bakers who fashioned their dough into symbolic shapes such as birds, stars and words.
- Noodles contain eggs; almost all other dry pasta shapes do not.
- By US Federal Law, a "noodle" must contain at least 5.5% egg solids (...at least Congress could agree on something!)
- Noodle consumption increases 20% during the colder winter months.
- Consumption also spikes each year during the Lenten season when many people prepare meatless meals for this religious occasion.
Have a cold, a broken heart or the wintertime blues? Noodles are the ultimate cure-all!